Party wall surveyors

The Party Wall Etc Act 1996 has been in force since 1997. The Act gives certain rights to property owners over their neighbours property, subject to them giving adequate notice of the intended works. If there is a disagreement in respect of the works, a dispute arises which must be settled by the party wall surveyors appointed by each of the owners.

This is the operation of the Act in basic form, but there are many complications. The Act does not only apply to party walls, but can apply to;

  • the external wall of your neighbours property even if it is not a party wall
  • new construction on the line of boundary between two properties
  • excavation near a structure on your neighbours land.

We can act for you in preparing and serving notices and agreeing an Award as the Building Owner, or receiving notice and negotiating the Award for you as the Adjoining Owner.

If you wish to undertake work which you believe falls under the Act, or your neighbour is undertaking work which you believe falls under the Act, then please contact us for some free initial guidance.

Please contact Ian Squair for further information.

Search Property